Thursday 30 January 2014

Q3. What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?


Q3. What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?
When deciding on an institution company which I felt would be most appropriate in the distribution of my music magazine I felt that it was important that the company had an idea and previous experience with magazines similar to my genre so that it would be successful in the distribution yet would still allow my magazine to stand out and be seen as unique. I felt that the media group of Bauer was able to meet these needs and would be the best choice for my magazine.  

In my opinion it was compulsory so that it can enhance the magazine’s audience who read similar magazines and so would already have a good basis to become well known. I would not choose a company such as IPC Media due to the company distributing magazine that are extremely close to my genre such as Q and NME yet Bauer was a better choice as they have the experience of KERRANG so were able to have an idea of how to publish the magazine yet allowed the magazine to stand out. This is because KERRANG is heavy rock compared to my magazine which is soft rock and so aiming our magazines at different social groups. I would also not use IPC media due to using the magazines of Q and NME as a blue print to create my own magazine.

Moreover, the distributor of Bauer distributes magazines that fit within my genre therefore my magazine would appeal to their audience and so will reach the specific social group I have been targeting the magazine towards. The company highlights that there is a consistent pattern with their magazines and so each magazine is some way linked yet also individual to the company. Furthermore the magazines such as KERRANG attract the audiences of males between the ages of 16 and 25 which are also my target audience yet having slightly dissimilar tastes in rock music KERRANG being much heavier. The magazines that this company distrivute are of the similar demographics to the my target audience being of the male gender aged between 16-24 as well as being of the classes A B C1.

Furthermore, highlighting that the magazines they distribute are also heavily based up rock music and topics relating to the music such as guitars and cars which are typically male topics that have connotations or working, young men interested in typical male interests. As well as having the female audience due to the magazine such as Closer which are also aimed towards the same age range, yet differing in social groups and so allows the magazine to reach its full potential with little competition. In my opinion this is the most appropriate distributor as they would do a successful job of publishing my magazine and reaching out to the correct primary audience which I feel will make my magazine well known. With the use of this company the magazine would be able to become an iconic soft rock magazine which will be extremely popular not only with the mainstream audience yet also the individualists due to the range in soft rock music incorporated in the magazine.

Bauer Media has a wide and well informed experience in publishing and distributing music magazines and other well known magazines that have made it successful as well as involving itself with brands appropriate to the target audience such as cars and radio stations which would feel the need to reference my magazine, so it is almost guaranteed that my magazine will be successful with this distributor. Examples of magazines that the company have produced include Mojo and KERRANG as well as being associated with radio stations such as Magic and The Hits which conveys there experience within the music industry.  These are not always the most successful yet this could be beneficial and so enhance my magazine’s readership and circulation due to the strong and well chosen decisions that have made my magazine.
 

My final reason for the decision I have made is because the company itself is extremely well-known as well as successful being one of Europe’s largest privately owned publishing groups and so informs me that the have been in the industry a while and will help me in reaching the social group that my magazine is aimed at. Furthermore it is international and so presents that my magazine can become worldwide successful which would boost the magazines reputation for the information it gives on the genre of soft rock as well as linking to TV, radio and online magazine which would help me in the promotion of the magazine and the choice of music artists

This is an important factor that Bauer are well known for online work due to my social group being well informed with technology and so will be able to access the magazine in more ways than a tangible copy. This allowing me to maximise the success of my online magazine and is essential, to beat other successful magazines and stand out against other potential soft rock magazines. This is a important factor due to new media such as social networking sites and websites becoming increasingly popular and are quick easy ways to give readers information instantly and in more ways than words such as videos which traditional, print media,  is unable to do. To make my magazine successful it is necessary that I create both of these types of magazines tangible and intangible with infinite amounts of information as I want my magazine to appeal to as much of the readers as much as possible. In my opinion, I believe that Bauer are capable of making the magazine an international success and so being a major icon that artists want to be a part of and other magazines want to be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment